The Kraken Shield – Manual v1.0
The Kraken Shield is a hardware project derived from the OctoPill v1 project.
- Simplicity, clear labels for all connections keep the board small and simple to use.
- High Quality audio built in using the DFPlayer.
- Built in power regulator to provide enough power for the arduino, inputs, & output relay modules.
Get to know The Kraken Shield
|Operating Voltage||12VDC 1Amp Minimum | 5.5mm DC Barrel Jack input & 2 pin terminal.|
|Voltage Out||The ”Power In” Or Trigger – + terminal block’s can be used to power external devices.|
|Trigger Voltage||5 to 12VDC Selectable with the Trigger Voltage Output switch.|
|Relay Outputs||120 VAC max., 10 amps max. (each output)|
- One 3 pin terminal block for any type of triggered input Low or Hi (Software selectable.) Labeled – + IN with a selectable output voltage of 5vdc regulated or 12vdc un regulated using the “Trigger Voltage Output” switch
- Three Pin PIR or Motion detector input for passive infrared detectors like the HC-SR501 – S + Ground Signal & Power (Confirm that the “Trigger Voltage Output” switch is set to 5v to prevent damaging the device.)
- Play Button – Allows to to review your programmed show.
- See Power for more information on Relay Output limitations & Specs.
Outputs – Relay Modules
- Relay module connections are 5vdc only, note the VCC & GND pins match the Relay module pins when attaching the relay module cable.
- You can have 8 total outputs using a 8 channel relay module or 4 outputs using a 4 channel relay module.
- Once the relay modules are connected they’re considered DRY (no power) outputs.
Relay Wiring Examples
- Using the DF-Player we provide better sound quality than many other serial MP3 players. It has a Micro SD card holder built into the module so you can store your tracks and show files in one place.
- Audio Out Speaker is a mono audio output that can support a 3-Watt 8ohm speaker.
- Audio Out 3.5 mm Stereo audio jack supports any powered speaker system of your choice for better quality audio at a much higher volume.
- Supports Two Audio Tracks | Ambient 0.mp3 & Scare 1.mp3
To use audio you will need a Micro SD Card
Head over to ButtonBanger.com and download the latest software from the Octobanger Project page. (Also shoot them a couple bucks while you’re at it) This is the freeware that allows you to create wonderful displays.
Firmware & Configuration
Setting up & downloading the firmware
Upload the Firmware & change the settings to your specs. The next procedure is setting up the firmware and controller properties.
Getting an error when plugging in your Arduino?
If you are using a nano clone, you may encounter an error. The button below will allow you to directly download the proper drivers.